Saturday, February 28, 2009

Public Opinion

I know I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I've always gotten the impression that Darwinian Evolution is the "origin theory" chosen by the vast majority of Americans (I would have guessed 65-70 percent). I was surprised to learn that this isn't the case.

According to a CNN article, "the most recent Gallup poll on the issue, conducted in May, found that only 14 percent of Americans believe that humans developed over millions of years from less advanced forms of life. Forty-four percent believe that God created human beings almost overnight within the past 10,000 years, and another 36 percent believe that God guided humans' evolution from animals over a much longer period of time."

These statistics (and, of course, that's all they are) really shocked me. I just always assumed that those who believed God was involved in the Creation process (a form of Young Earth Creationism; or some type of Theistic Evolution), were just a small group of people on the fringe of societal thought. Rather, 80% of those polled thought God was involved in the Creation process.

Obviously, this isn't an argument for Creation. The number of people who believe something has absolutely NOTHING to do with whether or not it is true. Truth can't be snuffed out by even the biggest and angriest of mobs. If an argument for Creation is to be strong, it will have to come from different means than a popular opinion poll.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this, Jason- I would've imagined that we'd be in the minority, too!

    ReplyDelete