Saturday, February 14, 2009

Jerusalem

The ability to place yourself in someone else's shoes is an important life skill. While I'm not Jewish, and while this song is certainly not Christian, I can appreciate some of the sentiment communicated in this song. I am so grateful for the Jewish people, through whom came a Messiah for the Gentiles.

This video was first introduced to me a couple of years ago by a good friend of mine. I have seen this video over a dozen times, and I still can't watch it without it having an emotional impact on me.

This song is performed by Matisyahu, a Jewish reggae musician, and is based on Psalm 137:5-6. The pictures were juxtaposed to the music by a third party, and I'm not sure if the comments at the end are accurate.

2 comments:

  1. Neat video- the Jewish people have been through a lot. I was just thinking yesterday about how they're God's 'chosen' people & He will bring them back to Himself in the end times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for including this video on your blog. The Scriptures reveal that God has a special affection for the Jewish people, and I believe that His gracious love for them is to be shared by all those who trust in the Messiah (Luke 13:34 and 19:41-42; Rom. 9:1-5 and 10:1). While it is true that God is primarily working in the hearts of Gentiles during this age, He IS also at work bringing Jewish people to Himself through Jesus (Rom. 1:16 and 11:1-5; 1 Cor. 12:13; Eph. 2:11-18).

    How many times does the NT record Jesus weeping? I am only aware of three occasions (Luke 19:41; John 11:35; Heb. 5:7). Does this apparent infrequency of Jesus weeping say anything about the significance of the times when He did?

    "When He approached Jerusalem, He saw the city and wept over it, saying, 'If you had known in this day, even you, the things which make for peace! But now they have been hidden from your eyes.'" (Luke 19:41-42, NASB)

    Praise the LORD for His undeserved love for both Jews and Gentiles (John 3:16; Rom. 5:6-8; Gal. 2:20; Eph. 5:1-2)!

    Jay

    ReplyDelete