Saturday, April 24, 2010

Thanks for You

Some thoughts from my devotions in Ephesians,

~~~

Passage: Ephesians 1:15-16
"For this reason, because I have heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love toward all the saints, I do not cease to give thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers,"

Thoughts:

Notice the simplicity of what is going on in these two verses -

Paul responds in TWO ways, because of TWO things he sees in the believers.

Because Paul heard of their 1) faith in Christ, and 2) love for the saints; Paul responds with 1) thankfulness for them, and 2) prayers for them.

Application:

There are so many ways to go with this, but for the sake of brevity, let me just leave you with a couple of things to consider.

Isn't it sometimes difficult for us to do what Paul did? Sometimes, when I think of people who have faith in Christ and love for the saints, I'll focus on some minor issue and think to myself, "They're not doing their music right." or "They only use a certain Bible version." or "I can't believe they're SO Calvinistic." or "That would never happen at my church." or "They aren't the same denomination"

Obviously, a complete and healthy Christian experience goes beyond these two things Paul lists here. But, when I see someone who genuinely has 1) faith in Christ, and 2) love for the saints - why can't my initial response be, "God, thank you for this fellow believer, I pray that you would strengthen them in their walk with You."?

Sadly, my first response is sometimes,
"Dear God,
Why do I have to put up with these idiots. Why can't everyone just be perfect like me.
- Amen."

~Jason

3 comments:

  1. Sorry I haven't been commenting much lately, Jason - I've been enjoying your post, and really appreciated this one! Thanks for sharing! :)

    P.S. We loved having you guys at our house & wish it was a permanent arrangement. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carrie! We enjoyed staying at your house too! It was great to get to see Zachary running down the hall every morning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen!

    Your brother in Christ/fellow idiot

    : )

    ReplyDelete