Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Anger and Wisdom

Some thoughts from my devotions in Ephesians:

~~~

Passage:

Ephesians 1:17
"...that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give you a spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of him..."

Thoughts:

Put simply, Paul prays that God would grant his readers wisdom.

To be fair to the context, the reason Paul prays for a "spirit of wisdom" is so that they would understand the things he talks about in verses 18-19 (hope, inheritance, and power).

Application:

Even though Paul wasn't praying for generic wisdom here in Ephesians - he does do so in Colossians 1:9-10 which says,

"...we have not ceased to pray for you, asking that you may be filled with the knowledge of his will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, so as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him..."

Make no mistake, it is a GOOD thing to ask God for wisdom (see James 1:5).

Hang with me as I take this application one step further - we should pray for wisdom when we're angry.

I'm ashamed to admit it, but I can get really upset about some really dumb things. If something major happens, I can usually keep a cool head - but it's the little things that drive me nuts. One thing I've started trying when I get angry, is praying and asking God for wisdom.

This usually cools me down for two reasons,
1) It breaks the cycle of negative thoughts, and gives me a second to process.

2) God gives me wisdom which seems to say, "Jason, stop and think for a second. Is it really wise to be upset about this? Is it the mature thing to do? Is this something of eternal importance? " The answer to all of these questions comes back no, and it helps calm me down.

So the next time you seem to be getting upset about the smallest things - try saying a simple, genuine prayer for a "spirit of wisdom" from God.

~Jason

1 comment:

  1. Very good thoughts on anger. Anger is one of my weak spots and I agree that slowing down for a few seconds and asking God for help really can change things.

    ReplyDelete