Monday, June 1, 2009

Here's Your Sign

I spent a rather significant portion of time on the road this past week (27 hours to be exact), and I noticed two very interesting, and very different, road signs.

~~~
Each of these diamond-shaped metal things with writing on them is trying to warn us of the danger of icy roads, but they each do it in very different ways. The sign on the right might as well have a big flashing sign that says, "We think you are a complete moron." Are we supposed to watch for ice even if the chance of precipitation is 0% and it's 110 degrees outside? I feel dumber for just reading the sign, like I'm being spoon fed by Big Brother on how to drive. The sign on the left is more explanatory, and at least treats me like my elevator reaches the top floor. It forces me to use my brain, observe the weather conditions, and determine the possiblity that the bridges might be icy - even if the road isn't. The sign on the left offers me information I can use later on, while the sign on the right simply beats me over the head with a rule which may or may not come in handy. Ever heard the old expression, "Give a man a fish, you've fed him for a day; teach a man to fish, you've fed him for a lifetime." - that's kind of how I feel after pondering these two road signs.
~~~

So...if you've ever wondered what I think about while trapped in a car for an entire day, you can sleep at nights now.

3 comments:

  1. Other than playing the Alphabet game ten times, of course. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this post, it made me laugh! Jeffrey is always trying to make his students "use their brain". Apparently those signs are more sucessful. I'll have Jeffrey read your post so he can get some pointers. Or perhaps it's the student that made the difference;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carrie - Yep, I do play the alphabet game a bunch when I'm on road trips.

    Brittany - I would be so honored if Jefferey (did I spell it wrong, or did you?) read this post. Tell him he has full rights to use it as an illustration in class...then, it would almost be like I teach calculus...almost :)

    ReplyDelete