Thursday, May 28, 2009

Change Has Come Today

“Some things never change.” Usually this phrase is accompanied with a knowing chuckle after crazy Uncle Bob tells that same joke, or exhibits that all-too-familiar idiosyncrasy for the hundredth time. All joking aside however, do people change? Or, perhaps more importantly, can people change? Before you get married, people will tell you, “You can’t assume that your spouse is going to change. You have to be willing to marry them, warts and all!”

A couple of months ago, I heard a radio host say something like, “I used to think I could change people…I don’t think that anymore. I don’t try to change people, because, you are what you are. “ The latter part of that quote is rather bold - “You are what you are.” Convert it to first person and you get, “I am what I am.” Seems like somebody said that once…and it wasn’t crazy Uncle Bob. (Hint: It was God - Exodus 3:14)

You see, I’ve got to believe that people can change. If I didn’t, I'd go crazy. It’s that hope, the hope for transformed lives through Christ, that keeps me moving forward.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know how you could be saved & yet truly believe that people cannot change. With the power of God, we are all able to change - not just at the moment of salvation, but as we grow in Him & throughout the years, we can change & grow to be more like Him.

    ReplyDelete