Monday, May 2, 2011

When they Come for You

I found out about the death of Osama Bin Laden the same way I found out about the death of (interestingly enough) Michael Jackson - Twitter.

I was busy contributing to society by sitting on my couch playing golf on my XBOX, when my phone chirped with the breaking news.

"Osama Bin Laden is dead?" (I only follow the most highly informed members of society.)

Everyone else quickly jumped on the bandwagon, and I received several tweets from others trying to get in on the "he's dead" action.

Just when I was feeling good about myself because of the accomplishment of others, I happened to read a tweet designed to keep my overflowing emotions in check.

"don't celebrate death, celebrate justice"

This scolding came from Christian musical artist, Derek Webb.

Celebrate justice?

The justice of someone dying?

And this is better than celebrating someone dying?

Evidently Derek has discovered some massive moral chasm (missed by the rest of us lemmings) between celebrating the justice of DEATH and celebrating the JUSTICE of death.

Confused?

And what kind of "justice" is this anyway?

Osama dying is justice?

Would it have been justice if Osama had died of old age in a cave? Or the walls of his compound had fallen in on him? Or if he had choked on a piece of steak?

Osama would have died eventually. (right?) But since the mighty United States of America made it happen a few years sooner, President Obama is vindicated for announcing in his 9 minute speech that "justice has been done"?

Don't get me wrong, I loved Obama's speech. If a ballot had been in front of me when I heard it, I'd have voted for him right then and there. (What? You want me to vote for Trump?)

Back to the subject at hand.

Maybe justice is just a word we throw around to make ourselves feel better.

Hey, I, for one, was feeling better until Derek Webb ruined all my fun.

Maybe we don't cause justice because justice is something God does.

Maybe justice has to happen in eternity.

Maybe justice wasn't served when a notoriously sinful man died a few days ago - but when a completely sinless man died 2,000 years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment